North Korea's Kim ready for third summit with Trump

16 April, 2019, 02:35 | Author: Myra Gill
  • Kim Jong-un addresses the Supreme People's Assembly

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he is open to a third summit with US President Donald Trump but that failure to reach mutually acceptable terms risked reviving tensions, state media KCNA said on Friday.

"If the United States adopts a correct posture and comes to the third DPRK-U.S. summit with a certain methodology that can be shared with us, we can think of holding one more (round of) talks", Kim said.

"Our government will do what we can in order to maintain the current momentum for dialogue", Moon's office said in a Saturday statement. While Mr Kim hailed his relationship with Mr Trump, he also said the USA has been making unilateral demands and should abandon that approach.

US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un at the start of the summit meeting in Hanoi on February 28.

In his most recent comments, reported by KCNA, Mr Kim said the summit had created a "strong doubt" in him over whether the United States genuinely wanted to improve relations.

He also said, "I agree with Kim Jong Un of North Korea that our personal relationship remains very good, perhaps the term excellent would be even more accurate".

The relationship between the two nuclear superpowers were further strained after Chairman Kim questioned the true intentions of the US.

Kim said he would wait until the end of the year "for the USA to make a courageous decision" on another meeting, state media reported, after his most recent summit with Trump in Vietnam broke down and both sides left without agreement.

Last month, a senior North Korean official warned that Kim might rethink a moratorium on missile launches and nuclear tests in place since 2017 unless Washington makes concessions such as easing sanctions.


The United States and North Korea have accused each other of causing the Hanoi summit's breakdown.

He said the North would not compromise on the "fundamental interests of our country and people, even by a speck", and blamed the United States for arriving in Hanoi with "completely unrealisable plans".

He also set the USA a deadline of "until the end of this year" to demonstrate that new talks could be more productive.

Last month, Vice Foreign Minister Choe Sun-hui accused the U.S. of taking a "gangster-like" stance and said they had thrown away a "golden opportunity" in Hanoi. Andy Kim of New Jersey and Ro Khanna of California - sent the letter on Thursday as Trump met with South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the White House.

Mr Kim's year-end deadline probably reflects his desire to gain an edge in negotiations before Mr Trump turns his focus toward next year's presidential election, according to Mr Shin Beomchul, director at the Seoul-based Asan Institute for Policy Studies' Center for Security and Unification.

Kim Yong-chol was considered a controversial choice for point man because he is held responsible for North Korea's attack on the South Korean warship Cheonan in 2010.

According to the KCNA, Kim dismissed the need for "preoccupation with the summit with the US due to a thirst for the lifting of sanctions".

"It is essential for the U.S.to quit its current calculation method and approach us with a new one", Kim was quoted as saying during a speech to the Supreme People's Assembly, the country's rubber-stamp legislature.

Recommended:



Popular

Sudan protesters continue sit-in, demand civilian rule
Abdel Fattah Burhan, the head of the military council, pledged large-scale political and economic reforms. But in a press conference, the council's spokesman did not respond to the protesters' latest demands.

Pep Guardiola: 'Supernatural' Kevin De Bruyne peaking at the right time
Now, De Bruyne has reflected on his relationship with Mourinho and his short-lived spell with Chelsea in The Players' Tribune . As it transpired, De Bruyne's career didn't turn out too poorly. "In the end, I should have just said "thank you".

Outlook Cops Hack Attack
A source described the attack before Microsoft released its statement, and then provided screenshots to prove it. Microsoft sent a warning to Outlook users detailing a hack that lasted from January 1 to March 28.

Notre Dame fire: Paris landmark IN FLAMES - firefighters battle HUGE blaze
The cathedral dates back to the 12th century and is famous for its part in Victor Hugo's novel the Hunchback of Notre-Dame. A blaze is under way at the famed Notre Dame cathedral in the French capital, Paris, according to the city's fire service.

Why Meghan Markle's Baby Plans Are Not a Reflection on Kate's
A water birth involves the mother spending the final stages of labour in a pool, so the baby enters the world under water. In the final days of her pregnancy, Meghan Markle , 37, has appointed her own delivery team, led by a female doctor.

Why Lori Loughlin Rejected Plea Deal Before Second Indictment
In a MA court this week they were indicted for conspiring to commit money laundering and conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. Good news, Hearties: Hallmark Channel has renewed When Calls the Heart for Season 7, weeks ahead of Season 6's return. "Perhaps.

President Trump Says Boeing Should 'Rebrand' the 737 Max After Fatal Crashes
On Thursday, Southwest airlines announced the decision to extend its cancellation of Boeing 737 Max aircraft through August 5. Boeing also faces a tsunami of lawsuits arising from the 737 MAX that will amount into the billions of dollars.

Churches celebrate Palm Sunday
Palm Sunday represents the start of the church's most solemn week, representing a key day before the Easter celebration. Pope Francis during Palm Sunday Mass in Saint Peter's Square, at the Vatican, Apr. 14, 2019.

Khloe Kardashian Has "Anxiety" Ahead Of True Thompson's First Birthday
This is why she kept defending Tristan amidst his unveiling mistakes and constantly tried to find reasons to reconcile, hoping it would magically get better.

U.S. envoy Khalilzad condemns Taliban 'reckless' offensive announcement
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's palace on Saturday condemned "in the strongest words" the announcement of Operation Fath. Nangarhar Governor Shahmahmood Miakhel said Afghan forces repelled the attack after reinforcements arrived.