Jussie Smollett finally gives phone records to cops

13 February, 2019, 01:56 | Author: Dominic Spencer
  • Getty Images

Actor Jussie Smollett on Tuesday dismissed any suggestion that he has been less than cooperative with police since the star of the "Empire" television drama reported he was attacked by two masked men in Chicago last month.

"We have no reason to doubt the statements, but for a criminal investigation, we need to independently confirm the phone records", Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told The Post on Sunday.

Smollett's music manager, Brandon Z. Moore, told ABC News he was on the phone with Smollett during the alleged January 29 attack and heard a "scuffle" and a "racial slur", but Smollett initially refused to release his phone to cops so they could verify the claim.

Of the edits to the phone records, he has this to say: "Any redacted information was meant to protect the privacy of personal contacts or high-profile individuals not relevant to the attack".

Although police have since asked for help from the public in identifying two persons of interest from surveillance recordings near the site of the attack near the time it occurred.

Still, Guglielmi said the records Smollett provided are indicative of his willingness to cooperate and the department will be following up with Smollett's team for additional data.

Investigators requested phone records from both men, but they were given a redacted document file and a cellphone screenshot of phone calls.


"I've been in this neighborhood five years".

"I don't believe it happened the way he said it did", Chicago resident Agin Muhammad told the Post.

The assailants allegedly punched Smollett in the face, doused him with a liquid - believed to be bleach - and tied a rope round around his neck in an underpass between the Sheraton and Loews Chicago hotels. "Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served".

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson told reporters that if police suspect Smollett's story is a hoax, he will be held accountable. "They have cameras everywhere".

He later submitted the redacted phone records that detectives have judged to be "insufficient".

Late Monday evening, ABC7 Chicago reported that an empty hot sauce bottle that smelled like bleach was found near the location of the alleged attack.

Another anonymous individual, who says he's a regular at a nearby bar says, "It's a lie, because Chicago is the most liberal city around". They have yet to locate footage of the actual attack.

Recommended:



Popular

Lottery victor claims jackpot wearing ‘Scream’ mask to hide identity
The person arrived at the lotto centre wearing the mask from the 1996 horror flick, along with a pair of black rubber gloves. He said while he's alright, he feels "just a bit numb, a little bit" after his big win.

Twitter reacts to Renault's 2019 livery launch
There will be two drivers, I will be here if you want to have a chat or a coffee! "When you are only working with suppliers, you can't do that.

Teen defies mother, gets vaccines after turning 18
In an interview with CNN, Lindenberger said his conversation with his parents about him getting vaccinated was actually civil. I haven't got vaccines since elementary school , Dad fell down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole, and my Mom agrees with him.

Rafa Benitez slams officials after Newcastle concede last-minute equaliser against Wolves
You have to protect the keeper. "We have to defend this better, people will come against the keeper so he has to be stronger". Replays showed, however, that the Slovakian was meagre in his attempt to claim the ball.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Pulls Off His First ATP Title in 15 Months
Tsonga improves to 17-12 lifetime in final while the 27-year-old Herbert falls to 0-3 and still seeks his first ATP title. But Tsonga read the play on his second break point, guiding a forehand return victor up the line to earn the break.

BET apologises to Nicki Minaj for 'disrespectful' tweet
Only time will tell if Weezy will boycott this year's BET Hip-Hop Awards, but for now, don't expect to see Nicki . Unfortunately the respect we have for Nicki was violated by a post that should never have been written.

Leeds winger Clarke out of hospital after illness scare
So far Clarke has played 15 games in the league - scoring two goals and providing two assists. Fans have been wishing Clarke the best.

Trump supporter knocks over media cameras at rally
Standing under a Finish the Wall banner, Donald Trump insisted that large portions of the project are already under construction. During his speech on Monday, Mr Trump told the crowds inside El Paso County Coliseum that 69,000 people had signed up to attend.

China rejects Turkey criticism on Uighur detentions; denies poet Abdurehim Heyit died
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hua Chunying said at a briefing in Beijing that the video proved Heyit was alive. At the start of the video, Heyit states his name and gives the date as February 10, 2019.

Gervonta Davis weighs in OVER the limit ahead of Hugo Ruiz showdown
The ultimate goal - if any fighter can surpass me, it's this young man right here, which I truly believe. Davis beat Ruiz by first-round technical knockout after dropping the Mexican veteran with a right cross.